Dental patients from throughout the Austin, Texas area and all around the US are choosing the Invisalign® method for straightening teeth. This revolutionary treatment uses a series of clear plastic aligners to gradually straighten teeth over a period of several months. If you’re considering this alternative to traditional metal braces, you may be wondering if Invisalign® reviews are positive. That’s why we’ve compiled the information in this article – to give you some perspective on what Invisalign® patients are saying about this treatment method.
Metal Braces vs. Invisalign®
For many years, the only way for a dental patient to achieve a straighter smile was with traditional metal braces. While it’s true that metal braces are very effective, they do have some downsides, such as:
- Metal braces can be uncomfortable to wear. The metal brackets and wires that comprise traditional braces can irritate cheeks and gum tissue. And braces needs to be tightened by the dentist or orthodontist on a regular basis, which can leave the patient’s mouth sore for a period of time afterwards.
- Metal braces limit the types of food you eat. When you wear traditional braces, you need to avoid certain foods that get stuck in braces or can damage them, such as chewy or hard food.
- Metal braces make it difficult to adequately clean your teeth and gums. It’s hard to work around the braces when you brush and floss, making it very difficult to keep your teeth and gums as clean as they should be.
- Metal braces take a long time to work. Most people who wear traditional braces will have to do so for between 12 and 24 months.
- Metal braces involve a lot of visits to the dentist/orthodontist. Braces need to be tightened on a regular basis, and that means multiple trips to the dentist/orthodontist office.
- Metal braces can be embarrassing to wear. There’s no hiding the fact that you’re wearing traditional braces, and that can leave you feeling self-conscious about your smile.
Several years ago, researchers developed an alternative method of straightening teeth that resolved a lot of the downsides of traditional metal braces. One of the most popular of these is the Invisalign® method. Invisalign® utilizes a series of custom-made, clear plastic aligner trays that the patient wears for at least 22 hours each day, over a period of months. The end result is a straighter, more beautiful smile. There are several advantages that come with the Invisalign® method:
- Invisalign® aligners are relatively comfortable to wear.
- Invisalign® trays can be removed by the patient to eat meals and clean their teeth and gums. That means that you can eat whatever foods you’d like, and simply brush and floss as you normally would.
- Invisalign® usually works faster than metal braces. Most patients only need to wear their aligners for a period ranging from 6 to 18 months.
- Invisalign® aligners don’t need to be tightened, which means fewer trips to the dentist/orthodontist.
- Invisalign® trays are virtually invisible, so no one ever needs to know that you’re wearing a teeth-straightening appliance.
It’s easy to find Invisalign® reviews online, and you’ll find that the overwhelming majority of them are positive. What follows are a few examples:
- “It was great that I could actually see my teeth getting straighter and straighter over time.” Most patients actually notice a difference during the first few weeks. And because the aligner trays are made of clear plastic, it’s much easier to actually see the difference as your teeth begin to move into straighter positions.
- “I recommend Invisalign® to anyone – even teenagers!” We mentioned earlier all the advantages of Invisalign® when compared to traditional braces. For teens, probably the biggest benefit is the fact that the trays are made of clear plastic, which means they don’t have to live with the embarrassment of metal braces for an extended period of time. On the other hand, because the aligner trays are removable, it may be more tempting for teens to not wear them for the recommended 22 hours each day. And Invisalign® only works if the trays are worn for the full period of time each day.
- “I love the fact that I can eat anything I want with Invisalign®.” Because you can remove the trays, it means that you’re not limited in the types of foods you can eat, as opposed to traditional metal braces, which come with certain food restrictions. Removing the aligner trays also makes it much easier to perform your usual oral hygiene routine every day.
- “The whole Invisalign® process only took 6 months! I can’t believe the change in my smile in such a short period of time.” Another advantage of Invisalign® is that it usually takes less time than traditional metal braces. Most patients complete their treatment from 6 to 18 months after starting to wear their aligners. It’s important to remember that this varies, however, depending on the severity of your dental issues.
While there’s no doubt that Invisalign® works great for many patients, it may not be the right choice for everyone. If you have an issue like an overbite, underbite, crossbite, gapped teeth or crowed teeth, Invisalign® may work well for you. But if you have severe issues, your dentist may recommend another more conventional method for straightening your teeth. And if you have any other dental problems – such as tooth decay or gum disease, for example – your dentist will want to resolve those problems before you begin your Invisalign® treatment.
Hearing what other people have to say about a product or service is often a great way to learn more about the advantages and disadvantages. Check online to find more Invisalign® reviews and see for yourself what people from all over the Austin, Texas area and throughout the US are saying about this remarkable dental technology. And to learn more above Invisalign® and find out whether or not you are a good candidate for this alternative method, schedule an appointment with your dentist today.